Thursday, September 26, 2013

Broken Foot

Hey everyone! It's been a month since my last post, but a lot has been going on! About 3 weeks ago I was out for a run (my first run since I was 5 weeks pregnant, I'm now 17!) and I got off the road to let a car pass and stepped on a rock just right, and fractured my 5th metatarsal (in my foot). I went to the dr and he told me to wear a boot for 4 weeks and come back. Well, a few days ago I had my foot out of the boot at home, and my youngest daughter jumped right on my foot. I heard a pop, and got dizzy, and knew it wasn't good. The next morning I couldn't walk on it at all, so went back to the dr. More x-rays, and it's now a non-displaced break, and I have a big boot up to my knee, crutches for two weeks, and I have to wear the boot for 6 more weeks, making 9 total. This really sucks, especially with not being able to run. I don't know when I'll be able to run again, and by then my belly may be too big to run anyway! It's been a challenge to take care of 2 kids, be pregnant, work full time, and be on crutches with this monstrosity on my leg. I try to stay positive, and have managed most of the time. I've came up with a few observations about my situation:

1. When it comes time to wear both shoes, I'm not sure I'll be able to find any of my left shoes that match the right!

2. When wearing a boot, wearing an actual boot on the other leg doesn't disguise the monstrosity. At all. 

3. Everyone stares. Be nice, don't stare if someone is on crutches or wearing a boot! I'm already self conscious enough about it, without everyone acting like I'm a side show. 

4. Everything you do is 5 times harder on crutches. Every little task is bigger, harder, and takes more planning. Even if I just use one crutch, it's a process to do even little things. And I get tired easily. 

5. Pants don't fit over the boot, so it looks like I'm wearing skinny jeans and leggings for the next 6 weeks. Ugh.

6. You feel like an idiot trying to open doors or go up/down stairs when you're on crutches.

7. I look at my running shoes longingly. A lot. 

8. As soon as you sit down and get your leg situated, one of your kids will need you to get up for something. Every. Time. 

9. Being pregnant AND on crutches in a boot is actually okay, because people want to help with stuff a lot. My husband has been awesome!

10. I'm SO thankful it is my left foot and not my right, so I can still drive! 

Just thought I'd share with everyone where I've been, and why you probably won't hear much from me until I can run again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment